What is enlightenment? According to wikipedia:
“Enlightenment is the “full comprehension of a situation”. The term is commonly used to denote the Age of Enlightenment, but is also used in Western cultures in a religious context. It translates several Buddhist terms and concepts, most notably bodhi,[note 2] kensho and satori. Related terms from Asian religions are moksha (liberation) in Hinduism, Kevala Jnana in Jainism, and ushta in Zoroastrianism.
In Christianity, the word “enlightenment” is rarely used, except to refer to the Age of Enlightenment and its influence on Christianity. Roughly equivalent terms in Christianity may be illumination, kenosis, metanoia, revelation, salvation and conversion.
This does not say much in my opinion, so I will try to provide some of my own views.
Enlightenment is profound knowing and understanding into the truth of reality, which encompass aspects such as
- The nature of existence and consciousness
- Complete understanding and awareness of moment-to-moment experience of the relationships between all perception (sight-sound-smell-touch etc) and actuation channels (thought, movements, speech etc)
Note that enlightenment is not the knowledge about it but the sum totality of conscious experience, which is always what is happening right here, right now!
Enlightenment can seem as different states of BEING, which consists of a certain oneness which cannot accurately be put into words, since words point to the memory of something. Being some particular thing, it cannot be the whole thing.
It is inherent into the nature of experience that words cannot encompass the complete experience, words only give pointers. Enlightenment is hinted to in both religions, spirituality and science, but easily gets distorted by identification, which creates division between subject and object, knower and known. It can be useful to remember that none of the common paths are needed once a fundamental understanding of reality has been reached.
To seek enlightenment is the continuous persistent pursuit of staying as conscious, aware, observant as possible to learn about ones true nature. It is the ultimate goal of any being, and is required to experience unconditional love and happiness.
Accounts from personal experiences
- What is reality?
- Death – Reframing a negatively connotated concept into a tool for creating positive personal development
- Layers of selves hiding the Truth
- Thoughts on the apparent dimensions of reality and its relations to consciousness
- My instagram account dedicated to enlightenment
(short insights and quotes)
- Ten useful things to contemplate, an extremely powerful YouTube-video by Leo Gura